Monday, February 6, 2017

Reading Notes: Arabian Nights-Part A

I chose to read Arabian Nights by Andrew Lang this week. I have always loved Disney so I was ecstatic when I saw the story of Aladdin!

Scheherazade: I like how the story is set up with a conflict that is quite terrible, and no one knows what to do except weep and fear for their lives. I like that the protagonist is a girl and that she plans to be the hero of the story or is willing to sacrifice herself for the greater good.

The Merchant and the Genius: I like how the stories are all connected. There is a girl telling a story about a guy who in that story is going to tell another story! It's quite confusing, but I like the concept of it! I enjoy the trust and honor the people in this story possess.

The Hind: These stories are nice and short, but still enjoyable. I like the fairy tales and magic in the stories I have read so far. It is very imaginative and shows a lot of creativity.

The Two Black Dogs: I liked how the story started out similar to the other one, but had even more magic and a little love thrown in. I really liked how the story had the good people who looked out for each other and a happy ending.

The Story of the Fisherman: I like that these stories are short and easy to follow, but usually have a moral or some unexpected outcome. I like that the person in the story is going to tell another story again!

The Greek King and the Physician Douban: I like how the physician is willing to help the King. Of course, there is an antagonist that wants to take the good doer down. I don't like that.

The Parrot and the Ogress: I think it's interesting how all the stories have stories that apply to the situation the characters are in. I also like how all the stories are a way of proving a point and giving nice examples for the characters' choices.

The Physician's Revenge: I like the story of the fisherman and the genie, but I didn't like the one of with the King and the Physician. It had a good moral, but I didn't like that they both died in the end.

The Sultan and the Fish: I like how the story transferred from the fisherman to the Sultan who was going to find the fish pond but ended up at a palace. I am excited to read another story about the marble man.

King of the Black Isles: I liked that this story had a happy ending. I also liked that the fisherman was rewarded like the genie had promised, and that the king had not forgotten him. I really enjoyed the stories inside other stories.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiCwAYxyHk5ttCQo8u3jBisRquum4Xs1zwAtvoueCaGXPiMdiK5jdFXrgqkQzybsIAFpM3vW63uEEnZhTC8K5kmj49UsB1KkRDMgQ4iRYvsU1mnRe7EZ1T2CfbYqp6tIXTtQJPz3lC8Ex0/s1600/04900.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment