Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Reading Notes: Santal Folklore-Part A

This week I chose to read Santal Folklore by C. H. Bompas. I wanted to read this series because it was folk stories about animals. I haven't read any with animals as the main characters so it intrigued me.


Ledha and the Leopard:I really like that this story has a happy ending. I love animals and nature so that he got to take care of the buffaloes and built a palace to take care of them made me really enjoy this story.

 

The Oilman’s Bullock: This wasn't really a story I enjoyed too much. I don't like animal fighting so I didn't really enjoy this one too much.

The Monkey and the Girl: It was a short story, and pretty weird. I didn't really understand if the monkey was actually a monkey. The story seemed a little scattered so I wasn't a huge fan of this one. There wasn't much flow to it.

Ramai and the Animals: I loved this story! I loved that the boy was doing the right thing and got a reward even though it wasn't what was requested of him. I love that he got rewarded for his kindheartedness and compassion. I would like to write a story similar to this one.

The Ghormuhas: This was an interesting short story. I enjoyed it alright. I'm not a huge fan of people getting eaten so it's not my favorite.

The Raibar and the Leopard: This story was funny because the raibar's promise was fulfilled even though he had nothing to do with it. I liked that luck had played in his favor.

The Tiger’s Bride: This was a strange story. I don't understand why an animal would want to marry a human.

The Killing of the Tiger: I don't like that the tiger ended up dying anyway. It suffered and died slowly when it could have been killed quickly or just not have been killed.

The Raja's Dream: I didn't realize this story had two parts, and I was very confused when I reached the end. I was not a fan, but then I saw it continued, and I'm excited to see what happens.

The Raja's Dream (cont.): Well, that was a strange story. I expected the story to have a different ending such as the younger son being rewarded, but it was an interesting story.

The Jackal and the Crow: This was another strange story. I'm not sure of the moral. I think it might be you get what you deserve. It was a strange story overall.

The Tiger Cub and the Calf: This was another interesting story. I find it strange that the stories have animal couples that are so different. A tiger and a human, a tiger and a cow, a snake maiden and a human. All these couples are unlikely, but the stories are entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment