Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Reading Notes: Japanese Fairy Tales-Part A

This week I decided to read Japanese Fairy Tales by Ozaki. I always enjoy reading fairy tales and they are my favorite types of story so that is what influenced me to read it!



My Lord Bag of Rice: I really enjoy stories like this! I love the fairy tale aspect of it and the dragon shape-shifting character. I like that he was looking for a brave human to help him.

     
My Lord Bag of Rice (cont.): I like the imagery that the author has. I like that it is very descriptive and paint the image like a painting. The water parting and the colorful fish greeting them.

My Lord Bag of Rice (end): I love this story! It is so enjoyable to read! I love the images and descriptive language that the author uses. This story is very entertaining! I really like that the warrior was rewarded for his bravery and service to the Dragon King. I had kind of hoped that something would happen with the Centipede that would introduce a twist to the story. For example, the Dragon King taking something of the centipede's and the centipede simply trying to retrieve it.

The Adventures of Kintaro, The Golden Boy: This is an interesting story so far. I really like that the boy has super strength and that he can talk with the animals. I like the bond he has with the animals.


The Adventures of Kintaro (cont.): This part was pretty short, it was just a continuation of the animals wrestling then traveling back home. I liked that they were all still friends and fairly good sports after the wrestling match regardless of the winner.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhMkU2Dlf9K_i-p2-th-WJwyO15imaqGalXHUrSse_Zx75CcIj16PLNfXyOlI6CyhhYyv8aqaNgZW9rBpjldN9gW7eNtItN8sx0Jcr4YgrUZtkZixD4epFF_8CjKny8JrqI9Jrv2kTmibw/s1600/Utamaro_Yama-uba_and_Kintaro_3.jpg

The Adventures of Kintaro (cont. again): A new character is introduced. A woodcutter that could possibly and enemy to Kintaro and his mother.


The Adventures of Kintaro (end): There wasn't a whole lot to that story. It was fairly anticlimactic. I did enjoy it though. It was just a light hearted and happy story of a great hero.


The Man Who Did Not Wish to Die: This is an interesting story. I am not crazy about it, but I like the idea of magical Elixir of Life. I am not a huge fan of the main character that is terrified of dying because he would be leaving behind all these materialistic things.


The Man Who Did Not Wish to Die (cont.): I really like that Sentaro actually gets to the land of Perpetual Life just to find that it is nothing like what he hoped. I hope that he will realize he got his wish, but it isn't at all what he expected.


The Man Who Did Not Wish to Die (end): I really like that the story had really just been a dream and it was just a vision of what could have happened. I think I will use that in one of my stories. I like that he ended up wanting to go back to his old life and regretted what he had wished for. I like that the end is happy even though he didn't really get what he wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment