Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Reading Notes: Santal Folklore-Part B



I am continuing to read the second part of Santal Folklore by C. H. Bompas. I really am enjoying this unit. I like the short stories that are quick, but have a fun, engaging story line.

The Jackal and the Chickens: That was a terrible story. There wasn't really a moral. It was just violent and things kept dying or getting killed.
 
The Jackal Punished: That was just as bad as the last one. I definitely like love stories and fairy tales. Stories about death and killing are not my sort of thing.

The Tigers and the Cat: I really don't like this unit as much as the last one. It is more gory and violent. Animals eating each other and killing one another to get revenge. I am not a fan.


http://img13.deviantart.net/1603/i/2014/022/c/c/cat_and_tiger__journey_s_end_by_eldangerrible-d6etdbi.jpg 

The Elephant and the Ants: This story was pretty good! I enjoyed that there was a moral and that the moral was explained at the end of the story. It was nice to read a story that wasn't just about killing.

A Fox and His Wife: I like that the female is the one who saves the day while the male was the one who had been questioning the wit of his wife.

The Jackal and the Crocodiles: Again with the eating of the animals when they get impatient. I don't like that the jackals are always eating the other animals. It's nice that the jackal got what he deserved, but I don't really like the idea that, "what goes around, comes around".

The Hyaena Outwitted: It was sad that the hyaena basically died for no reason other than the jackals were trying to cover up their mistake. I also didn't like that the tiger so eagerly allowed the hyaena to die for selfish reasons.

The Crow and the Egret: I liked that the money-lender had a conscience and was concerned about making the right choice, too. Even if it was after the time when he should have made the right decision. I like that everything went back to how it should have been without any violence or revenge.

The Jackal and the Hare: Again, not quite sure of this story's meaning. I think it is, "fool me once, shame on you" as the theme.

The Brave Jackal: Not quite sure about this story's morals either. It was different to read, but I thought it would go a different way.

The Jackal and the Leopards: I didn't like this one that much. The jackal takes advantage of leopards then doesn't get punished in return. He also takes advantage of other things and doesn't ever get any punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment