Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Week 3 Storytelling: Psyche and Cupid



Psyche was born to a rather wealthy family. She was the youngest of three daughters, and the apple of her father’s eye. She and her sisters were very close and spent every moment of every day together. They would brush each others hair and tell tales of princes and princesses with each of them dreaming they would one day find their prince. 

As the girls grew older they started to look less like children and more like young women. Psyche’s two older sisters were lovely and drew the eyes of many when they went out; however, when Psyche started to reach womanhood, the eyes quickly shifted from the sisters to Psyche. Her beauty was unmatched. She was as lovely as a rose. Psyche’s sisters noticed that eyes no longer lingered over them, but their younger sister. Resentment started to build in them from the attention their younger sister was receiving. All people noticed Psyche’s beauty and would comment on it, and her sisters were left to watch. As Psyche grew older and more beautiful, the envy and resentment grew in her sisters as well.

 As she became more and more beautiful, more and more people noticed and word spread of the unmatched beauty of a girl that is the human form of Venus herself. People traveled far and wide to come see and bring sacrifices to the beautiful girl that was a gorgeous as Venus herself. As word spread, Venus soon took notice and became enraged that the humans were worshiping a mere human rather than she. As more humans started worshiping Psyche, Venus ordered Cupid, her son, to follow Psyche and watch her to find her weakness.

Cupid watched Psyche and observed her from the skies. Many people would come and bring her offerings. Some would bring her all they owned begging her make them loved and beautiful to all, but she would refuse the offerings and instead give them kind words of encouragement and inspiration. Cupid noticed her caring and kind nature and was curious how such a beautiful human could be so humble and filled with love for others. This fascinated him. As he watched her, he saw more of her compassion toward all humans, creatures, and plants alike. He noticed she poured out so much love in everyone she encountered, but never received any love from others. Even with all the people coming to see her, she felt more alone than ever. No man would take her to be his because her beauty was incomparable, and all the men felt they would fall short of such expectations. Her sisters had also gotten to where they refused to speak to her.

As time passed, Psyche’s sisters got married and moved away to their husbands’ homes. Psyche was saddened that she had no suitor, and no one would give her a chance at marriage. Cupid could feel her sadness from where he watched. He went back to Venus to report to her his findings. She ordered Cupid to find someone to make her fall in love with. Then Venus would take Psyche’s love away from her and cause her such distress, she would die of sadness and loneliness.
Upon these orders Cupid finally realized the fondness he had developed for Psyche. He couldn’t bear to see her with some other man then to see her dying of devastation when that man was taken from her. He contemplated what he should do for days. Then he came up with a brilliant idea. He would disguise himself as a human, and she would fall in love with the human him. As the sun was rising, he watched Psyche get up and get ready to go get water from the well. He decided he would disguise himself as a human traveling through that are that had been thrown from his horse and was badly injured. He would place himself on her way to the well so he couldn’t miss him. He knew she was so kind and caring she would never leave him there but make sure he was cared for. When she saw him lying on the path in pain, she knew she had to take him to her house where he could be cared for. She took care of him for the next few weeks as his broken arm and leg healed. As she nursed him back to health, they grew closer often spending much time together. He was soon almost healed back to health and the time for him to leave neared, she realized she had developed feelings for this traveler and she couldn’t bear to see him leave. 

The day arrived for Cupid to leave, and he was getting ready to return to his home, Psyche came to him and declared she would rather die than live without him. Cupid was overjoyed. His love for her had only increased since he had spent more time with her. He proposed she come with him and they could be together forever. She wanted nothing more. She immediately agreed. Then he realized he couldn’t life as a human forever and he had to tell her his true identity. When he told her, she was in shock and felt lied to. He explained what he was sent to do and how he had loved her from the beginning. She was flattered and agreed to go back to the skies with him and be his wife. Cupid said he would need to form alliances with some gods in order to help keep her safe from Venus’ vengeance, but he would come back for her and no harm would come to her. He returned a few days later after convincing Venus to accept Psyche as his wife. Psyche went with Cupid to the skies and they lived happily together. 

 

Author's Note: I read the love story of "Psyche and Cupid". Last week I had read a variation of this that one of my classmates had written, and I enjoyed reading it so much that I wanted to read the original story. I slightly varied the original story and shortened it. I think I liked the original better, but it was a fun story to write!

8 comments:

  1. Great job on the writing! I read the original story, too, and I thought you did a good job shortening it. Ancient stories like these can be quite long sometimes, so occasionally it is nice to get a more condensed version. I also notice how the purpose of the story stayed intact even after you shortened it. Great job on that! I find the story to be quite saddening. Psyche didn't get a choice in how beautiful she would be. She stayed humble the entire time, yet others, like her sisters, took it as though they were being mistreated. I relate it to modern day where many people are looked upon negatively for the life they were born into, regardless if it is positive or negative circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a cute story. I enjoyed how you switched up how Cupid and Psyche get together. I liked how you disguised him and made her fall in love with him. This was very creative and you used great imagery. You did an excellent job making this story your own! I look forward to reading more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funnily, I wrote about this love story as well! Though I didn't quite retell it in this way, I chose a specific story and transformed it. I will say, you did better than I did at telling the story lol. You wrote in a way that clarified the story, but of course in your own way. It didn't appear as sad as the original which is good! I had hoped it would be more of a narrated story than a summary though. Overall I enjoyed your take on it and hope to see more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was super cute! I love romantic stories so this worked really well for me. I'm so very glad that it ended happily because I was worried that Venus was going to not recognize Cupid and kill him by mistake.

    I wondered how Cupid was able to convince Venus to chill so easily. I'm so very glad he did, but I was curious as to what exactly he used as bargaining power that was strong enough to persuade her.
    I also wondered if Psyche's sisters would ever forgive her after she got married so that they could be one big happy family again.

    If I had to retell your story, I would make Psyche's sisters bigger characters and create evil step-sister like conflict I think. Or I would write Psyche as a warrior instead because I love doing that.
    But I really did like your story. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adored your story! I am sucker for romantic stories and this one was beautifully written. I found myself getting lost in the beauty of Psyche as well just like Cupid. She seemed so genuine with a heart of gold.

    The only thing that I believe is an issue is that I am pretty positive that Venus would need to be capitalized since it is the name of a planet. I am not sure 100%, but I am pretty sure that is accurate.

    I do agree with Ellie though. If I were to retell it I would do the same and add a small amount of Cinderella flavor to it. It seems that it would be an easy task to cause allow the sisters to be jealous of sweet Psyche.

    However, I thought you did an exceptional job! Keep up the good work and good luck for the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also wrote a story based on Cupid and Psyche and I was so inspired that I may end up doing my storybook with that story line! I think you did a terrific job of making the story something of your own and I really loved how Cupid fell in love with her without shooting himself with an arrow and he also allowed her to fall in love with him on her own terms (mostly… except his fake horse accident. Lol). In the original story, the idea that he just climbed into bed with her and "made her his wife" didn't quite sit right with me. It’s probably nothing out of the ordinary in some mythology but for me personally, it compares a little too closely to rape. I’m a hopeless romantic and I love how your Cupid and Psyche developed feelings for each other without magical interference or forced intimacy. If you’re interested in reading a version of this based in a lion pride, I’d love to hear what you think of my story. http://brehmcsi.blogspot.com/2017/02/week-3-story-kingdom-of-love.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read this story before based on what other people wrote and it was good the way you wrote it. I was really hooked onto this right from the beginning. I also liked the way they fell in love without the need of his arrow or any magic forced on them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I’m not in this class, but you immediately caught my attention with this story. It was very easy to follow, and I like how there was a beginning to the end—meaning the story had the background and a really great finish. I think you are a very talented writer. However, I did wish there was some dialogue. Other than that, you did great!

    ReplyDelete