Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Reading Notes: Native American Hero Tales-Part A



I decided to read the Native American Hero Tales from Stith Thompson's anthology.

The Jealous Uncle: This is a very strange story. I don't understand why the uncle keeps killing the males in the family. I also don't understand the method. Why would he leave him in the forest instead of just killing him? Not that I want the boy to die.


The Jealous Uncle (cont.): I like that the uncle is unsuccessful. I think it's strange that he keeps trying to kill the boy, and no one does anything about it except be sad that he is going to die. Why wouldn't they banish the uncle or just leave?


The Jealous Uncle (end): That was very strange, but the last section was my favorite because he ends up finding a wife and having a better life than he had previously. I like that he was almost rewarded for his obedience and courage. I like that in the end, the uncle gets what he deserves and the parents go live with their son.


Bluejay and His Companions: I think all the characters are animals. I'm not entirely sure about this story. I think it is entertaining, but not my favorite.


Bluejay and His Companions (cont.): It was unfortunate that the bluejay and companions had to suffer so much just to learn to be nice to the other character. It was an interesting story, but not my favorite.

Dug-From-Ground: Not entirely sure what is going on here. They haven't mentioned any names so it is a little difficult to keep up with who is doing what.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjo29l-TTZq7zGsRCNVmjT1-EegsZaJQ0aSlNmshB9rwQK44w7qHHwg8RkrVryRdnhmjV7An5aa-XZy8lhhMYNtwwY9wB5cunYXj7wZvuv46TleXbvPN5zlYX-3hFuZ8amyHrRqQvfQi90/s1600/Edward_S._Curtis_Collection_People_004.jpg 


Dug-From-Ground (cont.): I didn't understand what was going on in that story. I didn't like it because it was confusing to read and didn't really tell much of a story.


The Attack on the Giant Elk and the Great Eagle: Another strange story. I'm not a fan of killing and having enemies. I would rather the story be about morals. I also don't understand why everything is in fours.


The Attack on the Giant Elk and the Great Eagle (cont.): Again, I don't understand the moral or why the story was written. Is everyone an animal in this story, too? Or are they animals except for the guys protecting the humans? It was interesting. I hope the second part inspires me to write more than this one did.


No comments:

Post a Comment