Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Week 8 Growth Mindset

I definitely think I concentrate too much on the grade and not learning the material. I used to not be that way. I was always more concerned with learning and understanding until I got to college where my GPA was a major factor that could determine future careers, internships, and the possibility of graduate school. I know this and have been working on it, but it is still hard when such an emphasis is placed on the importance of a great GPA. I have always been a person to do more than the minimum required of me. So pushing myself hasn't ever been a problem. I am also a very self motivated person. If I decide something is important, I will complete it to the best of my abilities. In this class, I have had trouble setting a consistent schedule. I have noticing that I have been getting more, and more behind; therefore, I plan to take this spring break to catch up and get ahead. I am usually pretty good at keeping a schedule, and I still am, but I would just like to work further ahead in this class than I am now!

 

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with this!! So much emphasis is placed on GPA that you feel like it determines your worth as a person, or at least I do. It is easy to forget that we are in school to learn the material and not just to achieve a certain grade! I also find it hard to keep up with a consistent schedule for this class. I am ahead, but I feel like I do a different thing each week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again, Sabrina!

    I can totally relate to being focused on the grade and not on actually learning the material. I’ve always been really motivated by getting an “A” in the class, and so that tends to be my focus whenever I am doing work in a class. I’m always thinking about what I need to do to get an A instead of what I need to do to actually learn the material.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As with both Lauren and Savannah, I completely understand and relate to focusing on the grade more than the learning of the material. It is very hard to learn not to, because like you said, our GPA determines so much for our futures. It should be a given that if we are able to focus more on the learning process of material, our grades should speak for themselves. BUT, that's definitely NOT always the case. I hope things have been going great for you this semester, we're so close to it being over!
    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never really thought about that, but I focus too much on the grade and not actually learning as well. It’s my way of coping with the stress of the future. I don’t know if you have a planner, but they are a very useful essential. I force myself to write down things to do, so I can do them in time. Good luck with the future!

    ReplyDelete