Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Reading Notes: Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche-Part B

Today, I am continuing reading Part B of the love story of "Cupid and Psyche," which is an elaborate fairy tale contained within an ancient Roman novel, The Golden Ass, written by Apuleius and translated into English by Tony Kline.

Venus and the Goddesses: This part of the story picks up from Venus's point of view. Now I am starting to understand that Cupid did actually love Psyche, but Venus is trying to interfere and possibly harm or kill Psyche. I like that the story stops in a place that makes you want to keep reading.

Psyche's Prayer: It is sad that Psyche can't catch a break. No matter who she asks for help from, they all seem to turn her away.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjdamRBtsQQ-5FTTapbI2daqbPno8xhL5OgTyiWBqkViYHFT-diJO_geY_VSDapGJOZQ-8xrZf1qAuS3xrORMr-6kBp-7uX3z1HA6vZ78Q7yjZH9DM__KNNT_lAXuXEkYXnDKZVO008f70/s1600/brm_bmag_1922p194_624x544.jpg 

Venus and Mercury: It is getting really interesting now. I can tell the story is coming to an end because Psyche is finally about to come face to face with Venus, the goddess that caused her all this anxiety in the first place. I like that Psyche finally decided to just face her fears and face Venus.

Venus and Psyche: I like how the ants see the Psyche is in trouble and saddened by her seemingly impossible task, and decide to help her finish it so she may receive the approval of Venus.

Psyche's Next Task: Again, Psyche is helped by an outside source that has pity on her. She is a kind and loving girl and it seems everyone except Venus can see that. 

The Third Task: Psyche is given a third impossible task by Venus. She of course will attempt to complete this task or die while trying. Psyche is a determined person and a caring soul. It can be seen by all the creatures that have aided her thus far. In the third task she is helped yet again in completing it. I really like that Psyche is helped when she needs it by others that aren't afraid of the consequences.

The Jar of Beauty: Again, Psyche is helped. I like that every time she attempts to end her life, something comes and helps her with her impossible task rather than letting her give up. I really am enjoying this story. I am not happy that Psyche seems to have lost sight of her goal and is contemplating taking some of the Divine Beauty for herself.

The Sleep of the Dead: I really like love stories. Fairy tales that have love involved are my favorite stories. That is kind of what this is, and it makes me happy to read it!

The Wedding Feast: The story actually ended happily! I really enjoy it when a story ends happy, and I can feel relief. I like reading so that I can escape the real world so reading a story that is sad and unhappy doesn't really meet those requirements. I had no idea the story was from a donkey's point of view.

The Escape: I don't like that the story didn't really end. I suppose there is more somewhere that I could read, but I really like it when a story has a solid ending like the one with Psyche and Cupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment