Saturday, April 8, 2017

Famous Last Words: Success!

Last weekend I went to a conference with the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) for regionals. I presented my research that I have been doing for the last year. I had to make a research poster to present, which I had never done before. Making the research poster was somewhat stressful because I had no idea what I was doing. I had looked at some of the research posters in Sarkeys, but I didn't have anyone to ask about the research and their reasoning for including certain things on the poster and excluding other things. I finally finished my research poster the day before the conference and got it printed.

The conference was in Tulsa, and on the ride there, many people were practicing their presentations. I had nothing. I decided, "I know my research. If I can't talk someone through my poster for 5 minutes, I don't deserve to present." So I just looked at my poster before presenting and studied it to make sure I knew where everything was on it. I had to present to three judges who ranked the presenters.

Later at the Awards Ceremony, I was awarded first place for the research poster presentation portion. I was astounded and did not expect it! It was such an exciting surprise!

This weekend I presented at Undergraduate Research Day at OU. It was a little intimidating because the presentation was in front of an audience consisting of approximately 20 people. I am awful at public speaking to begin with so this was quite difficult for me. I ended up getting through the presentation with minimal mistakes, but I was quite nervous the whole time, and I think it may have been apparent. Fortunately, I think presenting my research, especially in front of crowds, is helping me improve as a researcher and public speaker. I hope one day to be able to speak in front of large crowds with minimal effort.

Personal Picture: Programs from both events



1 comment:

  1. Sabrina, I am so glad I happened to notice your post here: CONGRATULATIONS! Being able to present your own research as an undergraduate is a great opportunity, and it sounds like you made excellent use of that chance. And just like everything else: it gets easier with practice. Especially when you get off to such a strong start!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete