Thursday, April 20, 2017

Storytelling: Marigold

Once upon a time there were four friends who were neighbors. They were all girls around the age of 14. One day while they were gathering fresh berries in the forest, they noticed a beautiful garden they had never seen before. The four girls wandered into the garden in awe. The flowers were more beautiful than any they had seen before. One of the girls reached out, mesmerized by the garden’s beauty and took one of the flowers. She wanted nothing more than to have the beautiful flower for her own. As soon as she pulled the flower from the bush an ugly witch appeared, cackling and holding the wrist of the girl who had taken the flower. The other girls were able to escape except the one who had taken the flower. 

“How dare you take what isn’t yours!” The witch screeched. “Your punishment shall be death.”

“Please, no! I’ll do anything! Please don’t kill me!” The girl begged.

The witch thought for a minute and then demanded, “Bring me your first born child when it reaches seven years of age.”

Eager to save her life, the girl agreed.

Many years passed and the girl forgot about the deal she had made with the witch. She had a beautiful daughter that she named Marigold because her hair was as golden as the marigold flower.

When the girl was six years old, she happened to wander into the same garden her mother had. The witch was in the garden in disguise as a lovely young woman. 

“Well, hello, honey.” The witch said to Marigold.

“Hello,” Marigold responded. “I these are pretty flowers.”
 
“They are, aren’t they?” The witch responded. “What would you think about coming to my garden again tomorrow?”

“Yay!” Marigold let out an excited squeal.

“Marigold, I am your aunt. Tell your mom she has to honor the deal she made with your aunt in the garden.”

When Marigold returned home, she told her mom what the witch had said. Marigold’s mother was terrified. She loved her daughter and could not bear to see her taken from her.

“Don’t go see your aunt again, Marigold.” Her mother demanded.

The next day, Marigold was playing in the forest and the witch appeared again.
“Why don’t you come visit my garden?” She asked Marigold.

“My mom said I wasn’t allowed to see you again,” Marigold explained.

“So she does remember,” the witch huffed under her breath. To Marigold she asked, “Dear, how old are you?”

“I am six,” Marigold said proudly.

“Wow! When is your birthday?” the witch questioned.

“Tomorrow!” Marigold said excitedly.

“Tomorrow you’ll be seven,” the witch stated. “Come to my garden tomorrow and I will give you a wonderful present.”

Marigold was beside herself with excitement! She had such a desire to see the beautiful flowers again.

The next day Marigold went to the garden and the witch took her and locked her away in a tall tower with no doors or stairs. The witch loved the girl and raised her as her own; however, she kept Marigold locked in the tower with no company other than herself. When the witch would come to the tower to visit, she would tell Marigold to let down her long, golden hair and the witch would climb up her hair.

On Marigold’s eighteenth birthday, she decided she would leave the tower and explore the world for herself. She requested a special dinner from the witch that would require her to travel through the lands to gather the supplies for three days’ time.

While she was away, Marigold cut her hair and secured it to the wall, and then threw the rest out the window. She climbed down her hair and escaped into the forest. Marigold walked and walked until she finally came to a village. She was wandering through the village mesmerized by the people and environment. As she was trying to take in all her surroundings, she accidentally bumped into someone and caused all they were holding to fall on the ground. Marigold dropped to the ground immediately to collect the dropped items and return them to their owner.

“I am so sorry,” Marigold said as she stood up to return the belongings. As she was about to hand the items to the owner, her eyes locked with the most handsome man she had ever seen. She pulled her eyes from his and started blushing.

He looked at her with such a strange expression. “Milady, I must know your name,” he said staring at her beautiful blushing face. She was the most gorgeous woman he had ever seen. 

The two met every day for a long while, and their relationship grew stronger with every meeting. Finally, the man asked her to marry him. He revealed to her that he was actually the prince and always wanted to marry a woman who didn’t love him for his riches. Marigold had no idea of his fortune. She happily agreed to marry him, and the two lived happily ever after.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f4/95/cc/f495ccac94e36ca1d24aaaca85dcd083.jpg 

Author's Note: I decided to mix a few of the stories I read. I read the Italian Popular Tales by Thomas Crane. One of the stories was like a beauty and the beast story. I used the garden part from that story. Then I used the story from Rapunzel for most of it. I also liked the last story I read  The Faerie Queene by Edmund Spenser because it gives women such a strong, independent role. I really like the idea of that so I wanted Marigold to save herself and make her own way.

5 comments:

  1. Great job on this story! Your description of the garden seemed too good to be true, I had a bad feeling something was going to happen! I liked how you were inspired by a variety of stories when writing this story. I am glad to see that Marigold escaped the witch and found her own life! Was she ever reunited with her mother?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great read! You did a very good job combining different stories that interested you, and making it your own. Rapunzel is such a unique tale, and one of my all time favorites, so I loved that you incorporated that! When she told the witch her birthday was tomorrow, I was like...NOOO! I do love how she escaped and found the prince whom she married, but did she ever find her mother?
    Also, I really like that you used dialogue in your story. It made it both easily readable and enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Sabrina!
    You did a great job at describing everything. It was very easy to imagine what was happening. I love how her name is Marigold because her hair was the color of a marigold flower. Oh no, I can’t believe she went to see the witch in the garden. I did not realize this was the story of Rapunzel until mid-story… I love it! Overall, great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sabrina!
    I know I have been to your website before, but I am not sure if you changed your font or not! I absolutely love the look and aesthetic of your website! I may be biased, as my favorite color is pink (not that you could tell from my own blue website). I did not know where to comment on this so I just chose your most recent post☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on your story Sabrina! I think you did a great job of adding elements from all three of the original stories and creating one of your own. Your writing style made it easy to follow along and stay interested, while also making it easy to imagine each part of the story as it happened. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete