Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Reading Notes: Celtic Fairy Tales-Part B

I am continuing reading Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs. I was hoping to have really magical and imaginative stories, but that wasn't quite the case in the last part. I'm hoping for the best.

King O'Toole and his Goose: That was another interesting story. I like that the king kept his word and he was an honorable character.


The Shee An Gannon and the Gruagach Gaire: That was a long story, but I liked the theme. I liked that the man worked and didn't give up to have the woman he loved. I'm a hopeless romantic.


Beth Gellert: This was a sad story. I love how loyal the dog remains throughout the story. I wished the dog wouldn't have died from the master stabbing it though.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgVqsY70-QUEMfckSpbPFkfr_DHhB0_WiEo02StrVRKZprcUtezaMlIjxmvtuZ6YiwLsFEx59kK9GZAWiQfTM-vHiDS1aOsIIHTGMSd_sUjYQTlTbrUV3jWdc8a29EoTgMIS4ANUcj89fA/s1600/Screen+Shot+2014-03-23+at+11.29.20+PM.png


The Tale of Ivan: I think this may be my favorite story so far in this unit. I really like that the man remains obedient and does as he was told without wavering faith. In the end it worked out best for him and he was rewarded.


Andrew Coffey: I think this was supposed to be a somewhat scary story. It was a little strange. I am not a fan of the writing. It seems like some of the sentences are messed up or incorrect. I don't know if that is just the writing style though.


Brewery of Eggshells: This was another strange story. There aren't many morals to the stories. There isn't really much of a story line either. This definitely isn't my favorite so far.

1 comment:

  1. I nearly picked these stories to read, too. They sound a lot darker than I imagined--like you said, I would have expected something with more magic and whimsy. I can't even try to pronounce the names of some of these stories!

    I think I've read the story about the dog--if it's the one I'm thinking of, it's the story where the dog's master believes the dog attacked his baby child, but actually the dog was protecting the child from wolves? Harsh!

    ReplyDelete