Saturday, January 14, 2017

¡Mi Lugar Favorito! (My Favorite Place)

Andalucia, Espana
     The summer after my freshmen year, I studied abroad in Spain. People kept telling me it would change me! I just rolled my eyes and said "Yep, I can't wait." But they were right. It did change me! This trip made me rethink my future. This was my first trip abroad, and now I have the travel bug! I just can't wait to go again! Spain has been my favorite place that I have traveled to this far. I didn't expect to love it so much, but now I have to say there is a piece of me that can't wait to return to Spain someday!
     I studied abroad with a group of 20 students from my university and a professor. We studied 3rd Semester Spanish and completed the course in 3 weeks. We stayed in Sevilla, Spain. There were many historic buildings and amazing things to see! One of the most popular buildings in Sevilla, Spain is the Catedral de Sevilla.
(Image Information: personal photo of the Catedral de Sevilla;
photo from May 2014.) 

     We stayed in Sevilla most of the trip. We got the privilege of staying with host parents that actually live in Spain. While we were there we formed relationships with them, and they taught us about Spain, too. My host mom also made some amazing traditional food for us! 

 (Image Information: personal photo of a meal at my Spanish home;
photo from May 2014.)
(Image Information: personal photo of Traditional Seafood Paella;
photo from June 2014.) 

     We also visited another famous sight in Sevilla called La Plaza de Espana. A scene from Star Wars was shot in this location, the sequence where Anakin and Padmé arrive on Naboo. (How cool! Right?)

 (Image Information: personal photo of me in La Plaza de Espana;
photo from June 2014.)
 (Image Information: personal photo of my friend and me in La Plaza de Espana;
photo from June 2014. Photo by Ashlee O'Dell.)
 (Image Information: personal photo of La Plaza de Espana;
photo from May 2014.)
 (Image Information: personal photo of La Plaza de Espana;
photo from May 2014.)
     While in Spain we got the opportunity to travel around the region of Andalucia, Spain, and visit some other cities around Sevilla including: Cádiz, Málaga, Huelva, Córdoba, and Granada.
 (Image Information: personal photo of Málaga;
photo from May 2014.)
(Image Information: personal photo of Málaga;
photo from May 2014.)
 (Image Information: personal photo of me in Córdoba;
photo from May 2014.)
(Image Information: personal photo of a Catedral in Córdoba;
photo from May 2014.)
(Image Information: personal photo of The Alhambra in Granada;
photo from May 2014.)
     In Cádiz and Málaga we got to go the the beach and relax. In Córdoba we got to visit the Mosque-cathedral of Córdoba. In Granada we got to see the Alhambra. And in Huevla we visited La Rábida which is where Columbus stayed between 1491-92 waiting for financial backing from the Catholic Monarchs, Ferdinand and Isabella, for his voyage to the New World. We also got to see replicas of Columbus's Ships.

 (Image Information: personal photo of La Rábida in Huelva;
photo from May 2014.)
 (Image Information: personal photo of The Santa Maria in Huelva;
photo from May 2014.)
     Overall, I LOVED Spain! I had such an amazing time, and I can't wait to go back!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, THANK YOU for sharing all these beautiful pictures, Sabrina! I especially love that one of you by the water in La Plaza de Espana: beautiful! The cathedral in Cordoba is also so lovely! I have never been to Spain, and I hope that someday somehow I will get to go there. I am really fascinated by Spanish storytelling traditions, especially the Middle Ages when Spain was the most amazing mix of cultures that Europe has ever seen. Maybe you will want to do a Spanish-inspired Storybook for this class! That would be really wonderful. I know a few folktales from Spain; one of my favorites is the "Half-Chick" story (Medio Pollito) - have you ever heard that one? Here it is in the UnTextbook. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, your introduction got me hooked and I had to come here to learn more about your trip to Spain! I visited when I was in high school for a week and loved it! After reading about your trip and seeing your pictures, I imagine that I would love it even more now that I'm a little older and that my Spanish has seen vast improvement. Also, this made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete