Monday, January 30, 2017

Reading Notes: Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche-Part A

Last time I read a Biblical story series so this time I thought I would read something more Classical. I read the love story of "Cupid and Psyche," an elaborate fairy tale contained within an ancient Roman novel, The Golden Ass, written by Apuleius and translated into English by Tony Kline.

The Captive Woman: I liked that this story was a set up for the stories to come! I am a little confused right now about where the exact plot or story is going, but that makes the story more interesting. I am eager to keep reading more! I think the story will continue as I read and expand on each story as it goes.

Her Dream: I didn't really like this part that much because it was quite short and didn't have much content. There wasn't that much added to the story. It just set the background for the situation that is happening currently.

Psyche's Beauty and the Anger of Venus: I like that each of these stories is like a chapter in a chapter book. This one is the beginning of the fairy tale we're about to read. I really like the mythological aspects of these stories as well as how the Greek gods tie into the stories and interact with the human lives.

The Oracle of Apollo: I didn't quite understand everything that took place in that story. I do still like how they continue to build on each other. I also like the metaphors they use throughout the story even though they're pretty difficult for me to keep up with.

The Magical Palace: I like the details and description the author gives about the palace. It really makes me curious to see what is going on and where she is. I like that the reader is following the main character and experiencing things with her rather than knowing things she doesn't.

The Mysterious Husband: This was another addition to the story where she finally met her husband. I like the mystery that the story keeps the reader wondering what will happen next and not sure what to expect from the next chapter.

The Jealousy of Psyche's Sisters: This is where the conflict is experienced. The sisters are jealous and are not planning to ruin the life their youngest sister has acquired. I like how we see how miserable the young girl is and how the sisters only see envy.

Psyche's Husband Warns Her: I don't know whether or not to like the husband. I think it is Cupid, but I am not sure. It is interesting that her sisters so suddenly turn jealous and evil in the story. They were mourning their sister's death, but now want to be the ones to cause it.

Fears and Doubt: It is interesting to see what people are willing to do to people they love. This seems like it will be a bad ending for all parties involved.

Psyche's Husband Revealed: Finally Psyche gets to see her husband and it turns out he isn't a serpent, but a beautiful god. After seeing him she falls even more in love with him. I really like love stories, but I like it when they end happy. I think this is going to end sadly.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjoQP0EC1DDiYAPIOKWqd_06-cP4t3QamdIWMrYV8-jw4I8q51tYkrSRQll5_6U544UNWpslxm1TxvvLeSIXRuVBBzL-jK133xOfBoEZCzMqSAPwEf8Y8kYhdJJrn8A5na96QRiSM58-Vo/s1600/800px-Peter_Paul_Rubens_-_Psyche%CC%81_et_l%E2%80%99Amour_endormi.JPG 

Psyche's Despair: I did not expect the story to take a turn like this. I was expecting Psyche to die, but instead her sisters die due to their own selfish desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment