Saturday, January 14, 2017

Week 1 Storytelling: The Boy Who Would Be King

As I was going by Charing Cross,
I saw a black man upon a black horse;
They told me it was King Charles the First;
Oh, dear! my heart was ready to burst!
 (Original Nursery Rhyme)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

This is a story a girl one can only dream to be,
Behold this is the story of me,
I was a child of one,
Because by then my father was done,
He died of a stroke before I was born,
And of course you can bet, my mother was torn,
She wanted to love me, but still yearned for him,
She dreamed of riches and so much more,
But in the end we were nothing but poor,
So when I was young, I made a friend,
His name was Charley,
But only called this by me,
While my mother would clean his house,
I would watch, quiet as a mouse,
Until the day I met my dear Charley,
We played together every day thereafter, Charley and me,
We would play everyday from morning to night,
And slowly we noticed our change of height,
He grew tall, handsome, and strong,
My face was thin and my hair was long,
And he told me he knew I was beautiful all along,
We learned to love,
No one could imagine a better pair of doves,
One day when we were teens,
Of each others presence we would soon be weaned,
He told me “from the day we met till the day we part,
You will always have a piece of my heart”,
He told me things were to change,
And through the months we were estranged,
As a symbol of his love he gave me a pin,
And he told me he could never see me again,
I didn't understand why,
But after he left I did nothing but cry,
I was later informed he was a prince,
It has been 10 years since,
And so that brings me to today,
As I was walking along my usual way,
As I was going by Charing Cross,
I saw a black man upon a black horse;
They told me it was King Charles the First;
Oh, dear! my heart was ready to burst!
Because you see it was Charley,
the man I loved and in return loved me!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Author's Note: This story is based on a Nursery Rhyme about King Charles; the nursery rhyme can be found in The Nursery Rhyme Book page 37, edited by Andrew Lang (1897). After reading this nursery rhyme, I was inspired to write about a forbidden love between a boy who didn't realize he would be king and a peasant girl that was the daughter of one of Charley's parents' maids. 

5 comments:

  1. Such a sweet little romance story! You had great creativity with combining a poem with the four lines of the original nursery rhyme. I was not expecting the king to be Charlie, but now that I read the lines from the real story again, I probably should have known. (haha) Thanks for the beautiful poetry! I was happy to see this medium of art used here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sabrina, your story about the peasant girl and the next in line king was awesome! I thought the way you wrote it was excellent because of the way it flowed and the rhyming. I like how you transformed a four line nursery rhyme into a huge love story. It was very creative and I thought you nailed it! I did not think to make a poem in my first story but I will try and write one later this semester. Overall, very well written and I hope to read more of your creative stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sabrina, that was really a joy to read. I was truly impressed how you translated a poem into a story. Also I really enjoyed the flow and rhymes that made the story much more exciting! The storyline was interesting to read and portrayed great creativity. I am definitely looking forward to reading more of your creative stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great addition to the original nursery rhyme! I loved how you actually included the rhyme is the sequence of your story. I haven't seen anyone do that so it was definitely creative. The flow of your story was easy to follow, but kept me involved until the end. I am glad they ended up meeting again after all of those years. You didn't give away the ending completely, so it still leaves a little up to the reader to interpret what comes next. I like to think they rekindled old memories and got back together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was so cute. They were childhood friends and stayed friends for along time until they could no longer see each other. Even ten years later she still feels the same way for him even though they have not been together or even knew anything about each other. I also liked that it was not a story and instead like a poem, it was very different from what I have read so far.

    ReplyDelete