Sunday, January 22, 2017

Wikipedia Trails: From Anoushka Shankar to Leaf Vegetables

I initially started with the wikpedia article about Anoushka Shankar. She was playing an instrument on the homepage, and I wanted to learn more about her and her instrument. Making music one of my passions so seeing a person that was playing an instrument I didn't really know much about interested me.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4c/Anoushka_Shankar_-3578.jpg 

 The next link I went to was about the Sitar which is the instrument Anoushka plays. I was mostly interested in learning more about the sitar which is what influenced me to start with Anoushka Shankar. I specifically looked up the instrument on the page to read more about it.

Then I went to an article about Toona from the sitar page. Toona is what the sitar is made from. It is a type of wood widely used for furniture and instruments.

From here I read an article titled Leaf Vegetable. I was interested to read about leaf vegetables because I am a vegetarian and finding something that was quite applicable to my life. I find it funny that when I tell people I am a vegetarian they ask if I eat leaves and I get somewhat offended, but now I see that is exactly what I eat.

2 comments:

  1. It's always surprising to see where Wikipedia can take you. The sitar caught me by surprise because I've been learning about the instrument in my world music class. It was also cool to find out what kind of wood is used to make sitars. I had to open the page on toona because I had no idea how leaf vegetable could play into it's Wikipedia page. It's also really cool that you could start from a musician and end up with something that is so integral to your lifestyle by only following three hyperlinks! Now I wonder if Anoushka Shankar is a vegetarian herself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey again Sabrina!
    I wanted to do a Wikipedia trail at some point this semester and have not gotten around to it yet! I love how they take you to the most random of places, although yours started out pretty random! Very cool that you got to learn so much! Great job!

    ReplyDelete