Monday, January 23, 2017

Reading Notes: Jewish Fairy Tales, Part A

I chose to read Jewish Fairy Tales and Legends by Gertrude Landa. I really wanted to read some Biblical stories, but I didn't feel the desire to write based on the stories I already knew and have read since I was a child so I chose Fairy Tales and Legends of the Bible.


The Giant of the Flood: I am already quite acquainted with this story from the Bible.It is the story of Noah's Ark. I like how this story expands upon the gathering of the animals that Noah is doing. The Bible is basically filler for what happened that is not discussed in the Bible. I really enjoyed the story incorporating extinct or mythical animals and stories for how these animals disappeared from existence. 

The Beggar King: I really enjoy how the stories are variations and additions to the original story and just helps to explain a story that already exists. I like that this story brings in a mythical character, a genie, and uses him to teach a lesson. The moral of the story is a good and interesting one. I really enjoyed the king becoming humble and learning to be grateful for everything he had.

The Quarrel of the Cat and Dog: I liked how this story gave a background for the history of why cats and dogs fail to get along in most cases. I like that it described their former relationship and led to their current relationship.

The Water-Babe: I enjoyed the details and thoughts put into this story. I liked that there is a slight twist on the traditional Bible story. The traditional story is about a baby that is found by the Pharaoh's daughter and cared for until he, Moses, is grown.

From Shepard-Boy to King: I like that the story was a history of a character already quite well known in the Bible. This is a story of David. I liked the mythical aspects of it and how it tied back to the original story. It is like the prequel to the Bible story.

The Magic Palace: I really enjoyed this story. This was my favorite story of the ones I have read thus far. I know the story of the Elijah and I really like how this story connects the stories I already know quite well and have enjoyed reading in the passed. I liked that this story showed the love of God for those that love Him. I really enjoy the empathy and altruism that is portrayed in this story.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment