Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Reading Notes: Jewish Fairy Tales, Part B

I am reading Part B of the series I started yesterday titled: Jewish Fairy Tales and Legends by Gertrude Landa. I really enjoyed Part A of this series and was excited to continue reading Part B. I hope to write stories similar to this that show traits of some well known stories with a few twists and filler for some missing parts in the original story.

The Sleep of One Hundred Years: I liked that this story is one that discusses things that we see a lot of in modern day movies and entertainment. I like that it has time travel. It was an interesting story, but it wasn't my favorite because it didn't really seem like there was much of a plot or story to it.

King for Three Days: I didn't like this story too much because there was a lot of war, death, and destruction. I did enjoy that the rabbi Rashi had predicted correctly the future of Godfrey de Bouillon. It seemed that Godfrey got what was coming to him from his lack of sympathy for human lives.

The Higgledy-Piggledy Palace: I liked that this story was the traditional story of Abraham going traveling with his beautiful wife, and his wife's beauty being discovered and taken to the Pharaoh. I like that God was with Abraham and Sarah through everything and was watching over them in all their situations. I liked that the story ended somewhat happily.

The Rabbi's Bogey-Man: I like that this story is kind of like an old time Frankenstein story except he builds a helper for the Sabbath day. The woman helper then destroys some of the town and is killed in the fire she made. As the rabbi makes another helper, he turns disobedient which leads to his demise as well. This story was just a fun story that didn't really get to gruesome or uncomfortable.

The Fairy Frog: This was my favorite of the stories I read today. I liked that it ended happily. I liked that the son followed his father's request without questioning them, and he and his wife gave even when they had nothing more to give in order to fulfill the wishes of Hanina's father. I liked that in the end they were rewarded for their obedience and compassion towards the commands they were given.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment